The North West Neuro-oncology Network has been created as a subgroup component of the North West and North Wales Neurosciences Network
The group will report annually to the larger Regional Neurosciences Network
Over time, it is hoped to incorporate additional regions including Northern Ireland and North Wales. The network intend in time to conduct meetings using videoconferencing.
John-Paul Kilday, Consultant Paediatric Neuro-Oncologist (Service Lead) RMCH
Barry Pizer, Consultant Paediatric Oncologist AHCH
Conor Mallucci, Consultant Paediatric Neurosurgeon AHCH
Ian Kamaly, Consultant Paediatric Neurosurgeon RMCH
The NW Neuro-oncology Network is comprised of a core group of specialists from a wide range of neuro-oncology associated disciplines. Specialists are from Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital (RMCH) or Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool (AH) such that each specialist has a corresponding colleague at the partner institution.
Oncologists: B Pizer, J Hayden, JP Kilday, A Penn, M McCabe
Neurosurgeons: C Mallucci, C Parks, I Kamaly – Asl, V Josan, S Bukhari, B Pettorini
Neuroradiologists: S Avula, L Abernethy, S Stivaros
Pathologists: D du Plessis, A Kelsey, E Cheeseman
Clinical oncologists: G Whitfield, R Colaco, N Thorp
Neurologists: G Vassallo
Endocrinologists: J Blair, P Clayton
Nurse specialists: J Page, D Williams
The group shall provide a forum for discussion of all aspects of paediatric CNS tumours, and shall promote collaboration to reach the following objectives:
- To enable an effective working network, utilizing the combined expertise and advantages of the individual sites (Intra-operative MRI, proton beam therapy etc.).
- To allow clinical decision making in neuro-oncology to be performed across a wider network of experts, achieving greater consensus for difficult/complex cases.
- To establish experience on a database of patients that would be unparalleled in size elsewhere in the UK.
- To provide an opportunity for data sharing across the network which in turn supports governance and improvement in outcomes for patients.
- To potentially brand the network as a second opinion centre for external regions, with experts using state-of the-art technology etc.
- To promote paediatric neuro-oncology research, audit and potentially therapeutic pathway /clinical trial development across the North West of England
- To review and implement regional cancer standards for paediatric neuro-oncology
- To provide an expert group which can provide recommendations for the delivery of care to patients with CNS tumours
- To provide an expert voice on the commissioning, delivery and quality of services for children and young adults with CNS tumours in the North West of England
- To support primary treatment centres and Shared Care units in the development of paediatric neuro-oncology services across the Network
- In time, to provide a national/international second opinion committee.
PROTON BEAM THERAPY
The Manchester Proton Beam Therapy Centre is a state of the art cancer treatment centre which houses a NHS high energy Proton Beam Therapy treatment in the UK.
This is based at The Christie. Our expert MDT will assess if your child would be suitable for Proton Beam Therapy and discuss this with the dedicated team.